Erickson's Workingman's Club, also known as Erickson's Saloon, was a Portland landmark opened in the 1880's by August "Gus" Erickson. Taking up most of the block between Burnside/Couch and Second/Third Avenues, Erickson's was legendary for its 684-foot bar and free smorgasbord lunches with a five cent beer. It boasted five elegant entrances, a grand pipe organ, and 50 bartenders. When the river rose in 1894, Erickson's served patrons from a barge at NW 2nd and Burnside. Fred Fritz operated several of his own establishments in Old Town, including Fritz's Theater and Saloon, a grand theater known for its cabaret performances. Fritz was an early investor/partner of August Erickson and eventually took over ownership of Erickson's in 1907.